If you have arrived here without reading the first pages, please go to Nakra-Kriyas - Crocodiles Part 1. All of the instructions for these exercises are there (breath techniques, positioning, tips, cautions, etc.). Suggestion: Go to the Breath series first and learn how to do the Complete Yoga Breath before you practice Nakra-Kriyas (= Crocodiles).
Nakra-Kriya Variations - Sitting, Standing
- This is a setup for the sitting Crocodile (see movement below), which I do on my DVD, YogaNata (it's available on every page of this site by going to the Products page or following the link with the image of the Bow, left). I'm moving here to music, so the photograph is not clear. But you can see what I'm doing, and that's what matters.
- Start by sitting with your knees bent and your palms on the floor. Bring your forehead to your knees with your feet slightly off the floor. This is just a nice little stretch to do first.
Instructions for sitting Crocodiles
- Put your feet down on the floor, as far apart as possible with your knees bent. Stretch your back so it's straight when you start.
- While you inhale the Complete Yoga Breath, simply turn your head to the right while you press your knees down to the left (as close to the floor as possible).
- Turn your head to the left and press your knees down to the right side of the floor.
- Note: Again, this is not in slow motion. You are counting 1000 for each move to side (4 times altogether).
- Repeat these movements to the left and to the right (twice on each side, back and forth), while you hold your breath.
- Exhale when you have completed two rounds. Hold your balance by keeping your hands firmly on the floor.
- When you have completed the rounds, stretch your legs out in front of you and loosen your knees by moving shaking them up and down. Stretch your arms up and stretch your back.
Instructions for Standing Crocodile
- This is one of the Standing Crocodiles. I'm moving fast here on the DVD to music. The image (left) is the setup. The image (right) is the actual movement from side to side.
- It's easy to see what I am doing.
- Stand and center yourself, as I do in the above image, left. Inhale and do the Crocodile exercise standing.
- Turn your head to the right (see image, above right), while you turn your knees to the left. Repeat these movements to the left and to the right (twice on each side, back and forth) while you hold the inhalation. Exhale when you have completed two rounds.
- The Relaxation for the standing Crocodiles looks like this:
- Inhale and lift your arms over your head and stretch them up. Relax your body everywhere with intention. Stretch your spine (see image, left) before you come down after exhalation and pull in your tummy as far as you can (below).
- Your knees are bent and loose.
- Get the feeling you are collapsing down with your hands just hanging loose (even if they don't reach the floor). Be sure to let your head hang loose like a rag doll (don't hold your neck up).
- Inhale as you come up again and then exhale and repeat the collapsing down to the floor. You can do this 2-4 times. Inhale as you come up and stretch again. Exhale as you collapse down with your hands.